I have a problem with one of my teachers. He is unfair in giving grades, and he has favorites among the students. Can I complain about this?

If you think your teacher is not handling the class well, talk it over with your teacher first. Maybe he is not aware that he is giving that impression, so he should be very glad for the comments. It’s good to let your teacher know what you think about his class and whether or not he helps you learn, because he should remember at all times that he is providing you with a liberal education. Then again, it is also good to double-check with your teacher about his policies and grading system. It is possible that you did not listen to certain rules he has set for his class, or that you have not read your course syllabus properly. If things still haven’t worked out after you have spoken to your teacher, then it would be good to consult his department head. Make sure that you speak objectively about your teacher tto the department head and that you give concrete examples and situations. Hopefully, the department head will speak to your teacher, and maybe even sit in a few classes to verify what you have said.


But if you want to complain about your teacher, always remember the following:


• Don’t complain to have a teacher thrown out – talk to the department head with the intention of helping your teacher, and thinking of ways in which your teacher can improve;


• Don’t wait too long to make a complaint – some students wait until the end of the semester to file a complaint; it would be difficult for the department head to observe your teacher if you complain during the final exams;


• Don’t tell all your friends and classmates about it – if you notice that your classmates have the same observations and valid complaints, then it is better to keep these observations and complaints within your group, and then have someone represent the group to speak to the department head; also, don’t let the whole world know that you don’t like your teacher, and that you plan to file a complaint against him – it would be unfair for you to do anything that would ruin your teacher’s good name or reputation;


• Go through the proper channels – it is unnecessary for you to go all the way to the University President and other influential members of the Academe to voice out your complaints; if you feel that nothing has happened after having spoken to your teacher and to the department head, then consult your mentor about what you should do next.

If I have perfect attendance in a subject, will I receive bonus points?

Attendance is not graded. Having perfect attendance in a subject may very well guarantee you a higher grade as you will be able to listen to all the lectures and discussions, and you will also have a complete set of notes. Some teachers give you bonus points for having perfect attendance, but it is not the usual practice; neither is it an academic policy.

I worked on a group project, but I ended up doing 80% of the work because my group members were never around. Can I ask my teacher to give me a higher grade than the rest because I exerted more effort?

    Effort is also not graded. You will always be graded based on whether or not you fulfilled the course/project objectives, and how you fulfilled these objectives. Your groupmates should also be graded the same way. If your group mates have not done all the work that they should, then your teacher will determine whether they have fulfilled the objectives or not, and base their grades on this. If you are worried that your teacher will never find out that your groupmates did not do their work, then it’s all right to consult your teacher about your project. Let your teacher know that you are concerned about the project because you are afraid that your groupmates are not learning anything, and because you are afraid that since you had to do most of the work, you do not know how your groupmates will be graded.

    However, it is not advisable to ask your teacher to give you a 1.00 (and to give everyone else a 3.50) because you feel that you did all the work. As long as you let your teacher know what work you have done, what you have learned from it, and how your project is directly related to your subject, then you will get the grade you deserve.

What will happen if I am not qualified to proceed to the 5th year, or if I do not want to take the 5th year? What kind of undergraduate degree will I have?

If you complete the 5-Year Program, you will graduate with any of the following graduate degrees:

Master of Arts in Communication Major in Integrated Marketing Communications
Master of Arts in Education Major in Child Development
Master of Arts in Education Major in Development Education
Master of Arts in Humanities with Specialization in Literature
Master of Arts in Humanities with Specialization in History
Master of Science in Industrial Economics
Master of Science in Management
Master of Arts in Political Economy with Specialization in International Relations and Development

If you are do not qualify to proceed to the 5th year, or if you do not want to take the 5th year, then you will graduate with any of the following undergraduate degrees:

Bachelor of Arts Major in Humanities

With Professional Certificate in Communication
With Professional Certificate in Child Development and Education
With Professional Certificate in Development Education
With Professional Certificate in Literature
With Professional Certificate in History
With Professional Certificate in Industrial Economics
With Professional Certificate in Management
With Professional Certificate in Political Economy

The term Professional Certificate signifies that you have completed the first year of your graduate studies in a particular field of specialization.

Information Technology Program students graduate with the degree of Bachelor of Science in Information Technology after completing their fourth year. If qualified and inclined to do so, they proceed to take the one-year Master of Science in Information Technology program.

Graduates of the EM Program will receive a degree in Bachelor of Science in Entrepreneurial Management.


What do I do if I want to put up an announcement for a lost item?

All posters must be brought to the Student Affairs Officer in charge of the bulletin boards (at the 4th landing of ACB) for approval and signing. You will have to log in your poster(s), have the poster(s) signed, and then proceed to post them in the following areas:

  • CAS 3rd floor bulletin boards (for org announcements only)
  • Shower rooms at the CAS 4th & 5th floors
  • Shower rooms at the Multi-Purpose Court
  • Reserved moving bulletin boards and sign stands (placed in various venues in coordination with AFM)

Six enclosed bulletin boards at the 1st floor of the CAS building have been reserved for the CAS Student Executive Board (SEB), the Admissions Office, the EM Program, the School of Management, School of Communication and the Center for Social Responsibility. The other four enclosed bulletin boards at the 1st floor of the CAS building are for OSA volunteer projects, varsity teams, student organizations, public announcements (such as an announcement for a lost item), and official OSA announcements. The placement of posters on these four boards is handled by OSA staff and student assistants. You may simply leave your announcement at the OSA Office, ACB 4th landing.

Banners for hanging (for non-academic student activities) must also be brought to the OSA Office. After they have been approved, the banners should be brought to AFM for hanging.

Posting of announcements is not allowed in the restrooms of the CAS Building, ACB, DCB, and ALB.

Our org wants to put up a play in one of the auditoriums. How do we reserve the venue?

You may use any of the auditoriums for a major project or production if your project has been duly approved by OSA, and if the venue has not been previously reserved by someone else.

First, present your project proposal to your org’s OSA coordinator. Make sure your proposal includes details of the following:

  1. project schedule
  2. production schedule
  3. a list of all equipment to be provided by AFM
  4. a list of all equipment you will be bringing in.

Next, once you have secured OSA approval, go to the Reservations section of AFM. Make sure you choose the available dates only, and request the AFM staff to double-check the dates in case there is a conflict. Fill out the reservation form, and provide AFM with your production schedule and list of equipment. Don’t forget to keep the green copy of the form that will be returned to you.

If your project is academic in nature (i.e. it’s a class project), you do not need OSA to approve your project or to note your venue reservation. Just ask your teacher to help you with your reservations needs.

Why won’t my teacher let me in the classroom? I don’t think I’m violating the dress code.

If your teacher won’t let you in the classroom, or if the guard will not let you enter the campus, it may be because you are wearing any of the following: a shirt that leaves your waist and/or back exposed, a skirt that is too short, clothing that is too tight, a shirt without sleeves, shorts, slashed clothing, transparent clothing without the proper undergarments, or other articles of clothing that are not permitted under the dress code. (Dress Code)

Sometimes, teachers may not have the time to check if all their students have complied with the dress code. Sometimes, not all teachers are aware of what students may or may not wear. And other times, the security guards, faculty, and staff are unable to call the attention of all violators of the dress code.

However, all students – and their family and friends who visit the school – must wear clothing that is proper for the University setting: clothing that is not distracting in the classroom, clothing that does not offend other people, and clothing that is always elegant and tasteful for any occasion. Therefore, even if you go to school during summer or the holidays, you have to follow the dress code. If you violate the dress code, you will be reported to OSA and be given the appropriate disciplinary sanction. If you and/or your guests violate the dress code, you will probably be asked to leave the campus.

My friends and I want to start an org. How do we go about that?

If you’d like to initiate extracurricular activities by teaming up with other students who share common interests, you may form a student organization. The initial requirements are:

  1. A letter of application with a short description of the nature of the org you want to set up, and its mission and vission.
  2. At least 15 members, not including the founding officers
  3. A list of the members’ names, year levels/specializations, and contact numbers
  4. A list or schedule of planned projects and/or activities to be undertaken during the current school year
  5. A summary of the objectives that your org intends to fulfill during the current school year
  6. A letter from a faculty/staff member indicating his or her desire to be the org’s moderator

Soft (in a CD) and hard copies of these documents must be submitted to the Student Services Desk of the Office of Student Affairs at the 4th landing of ACB. OSA will advise you on the other procedures to get your org officially accredited.

I was part of my high school’s student council, and I am interested in working for the Student Executive Board. What can I do?

The SEB officers make themselves available to the student body by posting their contact numbers on their bulletin board. You may sign up as a volunteer for any of the SEB projects scheduled for the school year, or you may request to join any of the committees that fall under the various SEB offices.

We highly encourage you to help the SEB in their projects and committee work, especially if you are a freshman or sophomore. Students who help the SEB render a great service to the University and to the student body, without asking for anything in return. It is these same students who understand the University and the Student Government better, who become the more familiar faces around campus, and who are the most qualified to run for SEB elections at the end of the year.

The SEB office is located at the ground floor of the CAS Building, near the CAS Library

I need to do research for a project, but I can’t find all the required materials in our libraries. Can I visit the libraries of other schools and universities?

You can visit other libraries (and not just libraries of other schools) if you secure written permission first from the University Librarian.

It’s signal #2, it rained the whole night, and the expressway is flooded with two feet of water. I also live all the way in Las Piñas. How can I find out early in the morning if classes have been called off so I can tell my carpool that we don’t have to go to school?

You may call up the guard at the trunk line (637-0912) to find out. The Administration will do all it can to make sure that this news gets to the students immediately. The Office of Student Affairs will also do all it can to communicate this urgent news as an official declaration to members of the Student Executive Board. This is to avoid the spreading of text messages that are not official in nature and which bear incorrect information.


I noticed that a light keeps flickering in CAS102, and that a toilet seat in the 3rd floor restroom is broken. Should I report this?

Yes, you should. The damage will get worse, or nothing may be done if no one reports it. You can notify AFM about a repair that has to be made; there’s a hotline at the ACB ground floor.

I have a bad headache and I’ve been feeling dizzy all morning. Where can I lie down to get some rest?

You can have yourself checked by the nurse at the First Aid Station. Just go to the ground floor of the ALB – it’s the small room near the ALB guard’s post.

CAS, MPC, ASG... All these shortcuts, abbreviations, and acronyms – I don’t know what they mean or stand for!

Here are some acronyms more commonly used by faculty, staff, and students of the University:

  • CAS – College of Arts and Sciences
  • EMP – Entrepreneurial Management Program
  • ALB – Administration and Library Building
  • DCB – Development Communications Building
  • ACB – APEC Communications Building
  • OSA – Office of Student Affairs
  • AFM – Asset and Facilities Management
  • MPC – Multi-Purpose Court
  • SEB – Student Executive Board
  • AFU – Accounting and Finance Unit
  • TBA – To be announced